“You’re hired.” Handshake. Paperwork. But now what?
As a supervisor, do you remember the last time you hired someone and needed to develop an “orientation” period but had no clue where to start? Did you have time to organize a “welcome to our company show” complete with a functional work space and training that is effective (and not mind numbing) for your new employee?
Image from www.dilbert.com
Consider the following facts:
- 69% of employees are more likely to stay with a company for 3+ yrs if they experienced great onboarding (source)
- Organizations with a standard onboarding process experience 50% greater new hire retention (source)
- The average cost of replacing an employee is between 16 and 20% of that employee’s salary (source)
- 60% of companies fail to set milestones or goals for new hires (source)
- Organizations with a standard onboarding process experience 50% greater new hire productivity (source)
Don’t panic! LinkedIn has a great resource.
LinkedIn has a great toolkit titled “Onboarding In-A-Box” that will help you plan the first six months after your new employee arrives. It includes creative welcome activities, “to do” checklists, milestone timelines and a “Best Boss Ever” list of questions designed to engage your new hire and make them feel part of a team. The kit is a great free resource that will help you build a powerful onboarding experience and increase the retention rate of your new employees.
After all, first impressions are lasting impressions - so be sure to make them count!